The resolutions of the council of 431 held that the Virgin Mary came to Ephesus. According to them, she came together with Saint John, four to six years after the death of Christ. The House on the top of Bülbüldağ is believed to be the last home of the Virgin Mary. The structure is a church that dates to the seventh century, and was restored in 1951. The House of Mary is a world-famous place of pilgrimage for Christians. Excavations in this area uncovered architectural components from the fırst to seventh centuries.
The German Nun Katharina Emmerich (1774-1824) described the surroundings of the House from a dream she had. Lazarist monks in Izmir set out in 1891 to find the house based on sister Emmerich's description. They found the remains and built a chapel here.