It is situated on the Tracean side of the Istanbul Bosphorus. It was built by Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror in 1452 to prevent aid from the North reaching Byzantine. It took 4 months to build with 1000 masons and 2000 workers. 3 towers were built by Çandarlı Halil Pasha, Saruca Pasha and Zaganos Pasha and are named after them. The fortress has 5 gates and lies over an area of 30.000 m².
Museum Located within borders of Sariyer district and gave its name to the location, covering 30.000 m2 area. There is a monument-art built in the narrowest and flowing(600m) section of the Istanbul Bosphorus just opposite Anadoluhisari.
Mortary volume of the building covering 60.000 m2 area is about 57.700 m3. Mountain Gate, Dizdar Gate, Hisarpence Gate and Sel Gate are four main gates and it also has a secondary gate called Mezarlik Gate.
It has Saruca Pasha, Halil Pasha and Zaganos Pasha, three old and junior Zaganas Pasha, one small and totally four towers; 13 castles in various sizes.It has two water ducts, one is blocked, three fountains two of which are lost. Only one destroyed minarette from the mosque remained until present time.
The building was considerably damaged from 1509 earthquake but repaired promptly. It is known that it was also repaired during Selim III(1789-1807). But essential repair was made by architect Mrs Cahide Tamer, Mrs. Selma Emler and Mrs. Mualla Arhegger-Eyuboglu upon directive of President Mr. Celal Bayar in 1953.
Open exhibition is made in the museum, but there is no exhibition hall and store house. Artilleries, shot and the chains which was claimed be used in blocking o Halic(Golden Horn) are exhibited in the garden.